How in the world would exercise make you happier? There is a science to it (which I love!) My top 10 reasons to work out…
1.Working out, even if it is a walk around the block, releases the chemicaldopamineinto your brain. Dopamine is a chemical called a neurotransmitter that affects your emotions, motivation, how someone learns and behaves, creativity, sleep and the sensations of pleasure and pain.
2. A workout helps you de-stress. When you exercise you are raising your heart rate and changing your hormones.An exercise is a low-level form of stress and when you “expose yourself to this ‘stress’ enough your body builds up immunity to it. Eventually, it will get better at handling the rest of life’s stressors” Jasper Smits- clinical psychologist.
3. Helps with depression. Exercise improves your mood by releasing endorphins. These are happy neurotransmitters that start working after about 20 minutes of exercise. This helps your mental health. When endorphin levels increase, worry diminishes. In one study scientists found that the endorphin rush released during exercise uses the same neural pathways as addictive substances. No wonder people get addicted to working out! It’s a much safer addiction than others, though. Working out is one of the fastest ways to flush cortisol- the stress hormone- out of your system.
4. Strong bones. As we go through life our bones become thinner and weaker- about 1% loss per year. Lifting weights helps with bone strength. Trainers suggest an hour per week.
5. Better Sleep. Exercising helps you get to sleep more quickly, deeply and are more refreshed in the morning. Sleeping also helps your body clockstay in tune.
6. Energy. Oxygen flows freely to the brain when exercising which helps not only mental activity but your energy. The blood flow improves when working out which gives you a natural high.
7. Reduces blood pressure by attacking the plaque in your arteries. When your heart muscle gets stronger it is able to pump blood through the arteries more easily. Your ability to get oxygen from the air to your body tissues is critical and working out is how your body perfects this. Exercise decreases fat tissue.
8. Immune system. Exercise can help youfrom getting sick. Having a healthy heart and body improves your overall health and you will get fewer colds, stay away from the flu and more serious illnesses.
9. Emotions. Resilience is strengthened when you exercise regularly which helps you get back up when you fall- literally and emotionally. Research shows people who exercise have a more positive self-image.
10. Better quality of life. Studies show that people who exercise regularly have better concentration, memories, reaction times and give you more energy to do the things you love. Working out boosts creativity. Best yet- experts found that people who exercise reported feeling happier and had more enthusiasm for life than those who do not work out.
I really don’t think I need buns of steel. I’d be happy with buns of cinnamon.
I’m so unfamiliar with the gym, I call it James!